I’ve titled this post ‘Rich triple chocolate cookies’, but really it should be ‘the world’s very best, absurdly rich, and utterly moreish triple chocolate cookies’.
For years I’ve been searching for a chocolate cookie that was every bit as dense and rich as it looked. But I never really seemed to find something half as satisfying as it looked.
But this is it! I found it!
Thing is, I didn’t think I had. When I first made this, the batter was to-die-for, but the cookies that I made right then and there were frankly a bit underwhelming. But then I froze the excess dough. (I always do this, to keep from eating a full batch at once, and to be ever-ready to entertain friends.)
A few days later, the hubby and I wanted some chocolate for desert. These hadn’t been sensational that first time around, but the cookies did need to be consumed, and I wasn’t too keen on offering underwhelming cookies to guests. So, out they came from the freezer. I defrosted them all of a few minutes – the time it took to heat the oven. With a sprinkle of sea salt, they went into the oven. When they came out, they were transformed. Glorious. The freezer trip had changed the consistency and the intensity of the cocoa, and somehow trapped the moisture in during the baking process.
So, if you’re looking for rich, chocolatey, utterly gooey goodness, look no further than this recipe, and a freezer.
- ½ c cocoa powder
- 2¼ c flour
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 c cold butter, cubed
- 1¼ c granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ c chopped dark chocolate (70%)
- ½ c chopped white chocolate
- 1 c pecans
- sea salt flakes, to sprinkle
- Roughly chop pecans. Place in oven for 5-7 min to toast. Set aside.
- Whisk together cocoa power, flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, on at a time.
- Slowly add dry mix.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and pecans.
- Roll into balls and place on cookie sheet. Place this sheet in freezer, and wait ever-so-patiently 24hr — or at least overnight. If storing longer, feel free to move the dough into a freezer bag or other type of container.
- When ready to make cookies, preheat oven to 350ºF / 180ºC. Remove dough balls from freezer, place on cookie sheet, and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Cook 8-10min, removing after they have just begun to solidify, but are not completely cooked.
- Let cool on sheet 2 min.
- Remove promptly and let cool on a cooling rack.
Leave a Reply